830 South Highway 92, Sierra Vista, AZ 85635 | Tel: 1-520-458-5120
Home |  About |  Contact
  • slide0
  • slide1
  • slide2
  • slide3
  • slide4
  • slide5

Max Edward Riley

Died: Thu., Feb. 21, 2019

Funeral Service

10:00 AM Thu., Feb. 28, 2019
Location: Hatfield Funeral Home

Committal Service with Military Honors

12:00 PM Thu., Feb. 28, 2019
Location: Southern Arizona Veterans' Memorial Cemetery

Print Obituary   Home Page All Obituaries

Music by The Piano Brothers

Max Edward Riley
~ 86 ~

Max Edward Riley, 86, left this earth February 21, 2019 to be with his father, James (Jim) Tony and mother, Mamie Riley; four sisters and two brothers who predeceased him.

He is survived by children, Yika Riley-Smith of Tucson, Arizona, Tony R. Riley of Phoenix, Arizona, Edward A. Riley of Gresham, Oregon and his loving wife Jean, to whom he had been married to for 65 years. Two grandsons, one granddaughter and five great-granddaughters and two great-grandsons.

Max graduated from Vanndale High School in 1951 and a week later was in the United States Air Force. After basic training and tech school he went to gunnery training and flew in B-29 Bombers during the Korean War. After the Korean War he was released from active duty and was transferred to the United States Air Force ready reserves for five years.

He and his wife Jean, the girl next door and love of his life got married on his last leave from active duty. They moved to Oakland, California where he went to work for Cal-Eastern Airways as an Senior electrical and instrument mechanic at Oakland Airport and a year later was promoted to lead man of the electrical and instrument shop. A couple of years later he went to work in the hanger next door as Foreman of the Electric and instrument shop for Transair Inc. He was recruited by the U.S.D.A. U.S. Forest Service while working on one their aircraft under contract and went to work for them and started an electrical and instrument shop in Redding, California. He also worked there as a mechanic and inspected Forest Service owned aircraft and fire bomber helicopters and rental aircraft used to fight forest fires. Five years later he transferred to Douglas, Arizona, USDA as a WG 11 aircraft mechanic and inspector for the Screwworm Eradication Program at the Douglas Airport. Before the first year was over he was promoted to WL-11 work leader.

After 12 years he transferred back to the U.S. Forest Service as a GS-12 Aviation Safety Inspector and Accident Investigator. He worked in Redmond, Oregon inspecting aircraft, helicopters, fire bombers, smoke jumper aircraft and other planes used to fight fire. He was the supervisor of maintenance on Forest Service owned aircraft. After 11 years he retired after over 30 years of government service.

They moved to Hot Springs, Arizona after ten years they moved to Sierra Vista to be near the rest of the family who never left Arizona.

Max was an avid golfer and had four holes in one, the last one being in 2012 on the 11th hole. All four holes in one were made using an six iron. He belonged to GHMGC and SASMGA. He was Captain of the bowling team in Redding where the team won five trophies and one personally for high series.

Funeral services will on Thursday, February 28th at 10 AM at the Hatfield Funeral Home, located at 830 S Hwy 92, Sierra Vista with final committal services with military honors to follow at the Southern Arizona Veterans' Memorial Cemetery at 12 Noon.

Click to send flowers using our local area florist
Direct website to florist ordering, saving on wire fees
View/Sign the Condolence Book

Click the button to generate a printable document containing all condolences submitted

Condolence Booklet